Saturday, June 16, 2012

Academic scandal 'not a basketball issue'

Academic scandal 'not a basketball issue'

June, 14, 2012 

 CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina coach Roy Williams reiterated Thursday he does not think the latest revelations about academic fraud in the school’s African-American studies department will affect the basketball program.

Four times in his summer news conference, he said it’s “not a basketball issue.”

“I'm concerned about it because going all the way back to the NCAA stuff, I've said the same thing consistently: It's a very sad time. OK?” Williams said in the media room at the Smith Center. “But I strongly feel that that's not a basketball issue. I'm in charge of the basketball program as much as the chancellor and the athletic director allow me to be. It's not a basketball issue, regardless of what comes out.

“Am I going to be interested? You're darn right. Am I going to be sad if some negative thing comes out? You're darn right. But -- I think the way you phrased it, am I worried about it? I'm worried about it from a university issue but not from a basketball issue.”

Read entire article

No comments:

Post a Comment